- Category: Storia Di Murano
- Hits: 854
The island of Murano, Muran in the Venetian language, is located in the lagoon of Venice, just north of the main island. According to a hypothesis, the Murano origins would be similar to those of the many centers founded by refugees of Altino during the barbarian invasions. The center, however, is nominated for the first time only in 840, when in Pactum Lotharii also mentions Amorianas.
It is mentioned shortly afterwards Constantine Porphyrogenitus and John Deacon, while you list at least ten Murano's citizens in the list of tithes of Peter II Orseolo (X-XI century).
The documents of the centuries XI and XII describe it as transit locations for the migratory flow from Torcello and Equilio and directed towards the nascent Venice.
From the civil standpoint, the city was ruled by a Duke's steward, while the religious level was headed by Santi Maria e Donato church matrix (half of the tenth century), which in turn submitted the Diocese of Torcello.
Later joined the parish churches of St. Salvatore, St. Martino and St. Stefano. The city, always inserted in the maritime Venice, she had a degree of autonomy until 1171, when it was united to Santa Croce.
From 1275 it was instead governed by its own mayor; He had also the privilege of being able to give the law, guaranteed by a Great Council made up of a number of noble Murano (about five) and chaired by a Podesta, and to mint its own currency (the Osella).
Soon became very important for glass art work, thanks to a decree of the Serenissima Republic in 1295 that sanctioned the transfer of the furnaces from Venice:
more than once, in fact, they had caused serious fires, exacerbated by the fact that then the buildings in Venice they were mainly made of wood.
The Murano autonomy was confirmed under Napoleon, when it was recognized as an independent municipality comprising also Sant'Erasmo and Vignole. T
he same period witnessed the closure and demolition of many monasteries and churches (today only count three).
The institution was abolished in 1923 along with Burano and Pellestrina and merged in the municipality of Venice.
"La voce di Murano" was the official gazette of the island.